Monday, November 12, 2007

Apple Chutney

another recipe from Moosewood (more or less)

1.5 pounds cooking apples
1 medium clove garlic, minced (optional, in my mind)
1 T chopped ginger root
1/2 cup orange juice (or pear juice, whatever you have around)
1 t cinnamon
1 t ground cloves
1 t salt
1 c honey (i used way less--maybe 1/4 cup? honey to taste, i guess)
1 c cider vinegar*
cayenne to taste (i didn't use any)

*i had used red wine vinegar the first time and worried that the cider vinegar would be too strong, but it worked nicely. so, either one.

Coarsely chop the apples (unpeeled works just fine). Combine everything in a pot, bring to a boil then simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to an hour.

2 comments:

Amanda Teicher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Teicher said...

Many years ago I had a copy of the Moosewood Cookbook, and the apple chutney recipe was a favorite. Having just made cranberry chutney in preparation for Thanksgiving, I am reminded of how much I enjoyed the apple chutney. I'm pleased to find this recipe ... it looks the same as I remember. I'm sitting in front of the fire, imagining what I'll give for Christmas, it's easy to picture a box for each recipient that includes a few small jars of chutney: some apple, some cranberry. I suppose I should haul myself out of my cozy chair and make a printout for my recipe notebook.